ArtWaves is seeking an Executive Director!
ArtWaves, the nonprofit community art center on Mount Desert Island, seeks a dynamic, personable, tech-savvy, part-time Executive Director to lead the organization forward into the future. The new Executive Director will oversee programming; engage in grant writing and fundraising; handle all contracting, scheduling and advertising; manage finances; work with artist instructors; maintain a presence on social media; ensure that the ArtWaves campus in Town Hill is clean and safe; and chart a course as outlined by the ArtWaves Strategic Plan. The ArtWaves campus is home to three art and one dance studio along with gardens, a parking lot and outdoor classroom space. The Executive Director is expected to live within 45 minutes of ArtWaves and to work from the ArtWaves campus. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to bring the ArtWaves mission and vision to life with the support of the ArtWaves Board. The ideal candidate is passionate about building community through art making and can see the big picture as well as follow through on details; has experience with nonprofits; and has excellent communication and organization skills. A job description is below.
1) Board Governance: Works with the ArtWaves Board to fulfill the organizational mission through:
-- Effective communication with the Board and follow through on decisions made by the Board relative to the purview of the Executive Director.
-- Provision of, in a timely and accurate manner, a monthly report for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Work with the President of the Board to determine priorities and agenda items.
-- Participation to the extent possible in all full board and committee meetings and strategic planning meetings.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
-- Responsible, with the support of the Board, for the fiscal integrity of ArtWaves, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
-- Responsible, with the support of the Board, for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
-- Responsible, with the support of the Board, for cultivating and stewarding relationships with donors, and securing other resources as necessary to support ArtWaves’ mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
-- Responsible for implementation of ArtWaves’ programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
-- Responsible for implementing the strategic plan, in partnership with the Board, to ensure that ArtWaves can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
-- Responsible for the enhancement of ArtWaves’ image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
-- Responsible, with the support of the Board, for effective administration of ArtWaves operations.
-- Hire, supervise and collaborate with staff and instructors.
-- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
-- Ensure the safety and comfort of staff and program participants including through campus and building maintenance:
Report on any liability issues with the grounds.
Ensure that the studios are maintained.
Work with instructors/members/program participants to maintain a clean work environment.
-- Create, review, and implement procedures, protocols and policies, including those related to legal, fiscal, program operations and liability. NOTE: All policies are subject to Board review and agreement.
ArtWaves is an equal opportunity employer, celebrates diversity and is committed to creating a positive inclusive space for art making and dance, where everyone can celebrate, learn and communicate through the arts. ArtWaves strives to be a place where all participants feel comfortable and welcome. This is a salaried position. The Executive Director will be expected to work an average of 20 hours/week and to ensure that there is adequate coverage on campus by staff. Weekend and evening hours may be required.
Does this sound like a good fit for you? Please email a resume and cover letter to Stefanie Muscat, President of the ArtWaves Board, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
ArtWaves is seeking models for our Figure Drawing classes that take place every Thursday, 12pm-3pm.
Models are paid $75.00 for three (3) hours. No experience necessary!
Please email Phillip Dvorak firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Do you want to be a Volunteer at ArtWaves?
Great! ArtWaves Volunteers help staff create a positive, creative, productive, and community-building experience for participants in classes, workshops and events. There are lots of ways to help!
1. You can be a Studio Monitor! Studio Monitors act as a host on behalf of ArtWaves. You will be trained to assist before, during and after a specific class, (usually 3 to 5 weeks); for a specific workshop; or for ongoing weekly Open Studio and Figure Drawing sessions.
2. You can be a Campus Supporter! Campus Supporters assist the ArtWaves Team to maintain and improve the ArtWaves campus so it is welcoming, beautiful, clean and well-organized. Campus Supporters can sign up for a repeating weekly or monthly task, or help out with a one-time project for 2-3 hours. There are weekly Friday and Saturday organizing sessions where we sort and put away art supplies, assemble art “kits,” sort glass for mosaics, etc. You might also help put up or take down a large tent or do spring cleanup.
3. You can be a Mission Supporter! Mission Supporters assist the ArtWaves Team with community outreach activities and serve as a goodwill ambassador. You might install or remove works of art for monthly shows at MDI hospital; distribute monthly calendar flyers around town; and/or greet people at special events like our 3 “Show and Sell” art pop-up sales.
ArtWaves Volunteers meet and work with people of all ages and levels of experience in art, crafts, writing, poetry and dance. For every 2 hours you volunteer, you earn one hour towards a class, workshop, figure drawing or open studio session. (Redeemable for up to one half of the total time of the workshop or class.)
NOTE: All ArtWaves Volunteers participate in an on-site orientation to inform them about ArtWaves’ mission; establish clear goals; safeguard against common mishaps; help ArtWaves learn more about those who want to volunteer; and answer your questions.
Interested? We hope so! Please email Barbara McLeod, the ArtWaves Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you!